Login - Create Account

Missing component manager crash?

Login or Register to post new topics or replies
ChrisR
ChrisR
Hi guys

I'm absolutely loving the flexibility that Filter Forge offers me but I'm seeing random crashes when using the filter editor. Screen shot attached.

I've tried to replicate the error but the difficulty I have, is that it appears to be so very random. For instance, all I did once was click on advanced options, a couple of other times I was dragging and dropping a component into the filter editor. There doesn't seem to be any particular image or sequence of events that I can replicate which causes the crash. I have submitted a bug report - but it looks that until I can replicate whatever causes the crash then I'm stuck. And that's the problem - it seems so random!

Help!

Has any one else experienced this and if so - what was the cure?
The error is always the same "Missing component manager"

I'm running Win10 64bit pro-edition. Although Filter Forge reports this as Win8 64 bit edition.

Any suggestions/advice/pointers gratefully received. Thank you!

Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

Filters: 33
How much ram you have ? How much you have asigned it to FF?

What version of FF you are using?
  Details E-Mail
ChrisR
ChrisR
Hi SpaceRay,

I have 32Gb of Ram.

I'm running Filter Forge stand alone - so I guess it has access to most of that memory? Edit: Just checked - Filter Forge is assigned to use up to 60% of the total Ram.

Filter Forge is the very latest version 7.006

Attached system info

Details E-Mail
ChrisR
ChrisR
To help me trouble shoot it'd be helpful to know what "Missing component manager in rendering context" actually means and to what it refers to? Devs?
  Details E-Mail
ChrisR
ChrisR
Just to be clear. This crash only happens when I'm using the filter editor.
  Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

Filters: 33
Have you generated the bug report of this error clicking on the button of the error?

ChrisR wrote:
so I guess it has access to most of that memory?

I do not remember but I think that by default it has access to about 65% or 75% of the memmory, you can see how much it is in the options or preferences, but as you have 32 GB this is not a problem

ChrisR wrote:
Just to be clear. This crash only happens when I'm using the filter editor.

Does it happen with any specific filter, or with all the filters that you try to edit in filter editor?

Is when editing a filter from the library or a custom filter made by you?

When does it happen the error? It is just when opening the filter editor, or when you do a specific thing?

The FF support need to be able to reproduce the error to be able to help you and so must know when and how does it happen

ChrisR wrote:
help me trouble shoot it'd be helpful to know what "Missing component manager in rendering context" actually means and to what it refers to? Devs?

I have never seen this error, and do not know what is, so you must wait that GMM or someone that knows tells you about this error
  Details E-Mail
GMM
Filter Forge, Inc
We are aware of the issue but cannot reproduce it. If you notice a pattern in these crashes that can be reliably reproduced, we'd appreciate that.
  Details E-Mail
GMM
Filter Forge, Inc
Good news: we've identified the problem! It is related to saving. For now, when you save a filter don't continue your work and exit the editor immediately. You can edit a filter normally until you save it.
  Details E-Mail
ChrisR
ChrisR
Hi SpaceRay,

I've tried setting FF to use 80% of my available 32Gb (~25Gb out of the total 32Gb) alas, still no joy.

The crash only (randomly) occurs when I'm using the editor, whether that's in one of my own filters or just modifying an existing one. It can happen by adding a new component (any component) re-wiring an existing component, deleting a component and once it happened when all I did was click on "Advanced" Each time it's always the same error message - which is why I was asking what that refers to - "The missing component" GMM ?

I've given FF Administrator privileges and as well tried the various Windows compatibility modes unfortunately with no success. I'm wondering if perhaps Windows defender is doing something it shouldn't - I don't know - but it might be worth me temporarily turning that off and see if things improve. I'm kinda stumped what else I can try as I'm pretty much running out of possibilities.

If I could replicate steps that would create the crash I gladly would - the problem that I have, is that it appears to be so very random in nature. smile:(
  Details E-Mail
ChrisR
ChrisR
GMM - Ah! Brilliant! Sorry I think we cross posted.

Beforehand I was saving as I was going along.

So the thing to do is open or create the filter, edit it, then save and close the program before re-editing it? Have I got that right?
  Details E-Mail
GMM
Filter Forge, Inc
Right. After you save - close the editor right away. If you continue editing without exiting the editor, it will crash sooner or later.

You don't need to exit FF entirely - just close the editor and reopen it.
We'll release a fix soon.
  Details E-Mail
ChrisR
ChrisR
Superb! You are a Star GMM smile:D
  Details E-Mail
ChrisR
ChrisR
SpaceRay - many thanks for your help as well smile:-)
  Details E-Mail
GMM
Filter Forge, Inc
The issue has been hotfixed without incrementing the version number. You can download and reinstall the latest version from the download page.
  Details E-Mail
ChrisR
ChrisR
Many thanks GMM smile:-)
  Details E-Mail

Join Our Community!

Filter Forge has a thriving, vibrant, knowledgeable user community. Feel free to join us and have fun!

29,454 Registered Users
+16 new in 7 days!

137,903 Posts
+18 new last day!

13,448 Topics
+8 new in 7 days!

Online Users Last 5 minutes:

13 unregistered users.

Recent Wiki Edits:

Follow filterforge on Twitter