Login - Create Account

Color correcting old slides

Login or Register to post new topics or replies
Haras Arch
Hara's Crown
I recently got access to a bunch of older family slides (30 to 50 years old). Some of the slides were done with Agfa film and it looks like they have gotten "blue" with age, and some of the Kodak (maybe) ones look like they have shifted toward red. (I'll have a slide scanner soon and can tell better what color problems have developed once I've digitized them.)

Can anyone suggest filters to use to color correct the old slides? Or other ways to fix them -- if it is possible to correct the problems.
  Details E-Mail
chrisd
I used the key words color correction scanned slides to generate the results below. You can probably get a procedure for just about any photo editing software by adding it as a keyword.
https://www.google.com/search?client=f...NPIVH8S26k
  Details E-Mail
Indigo Ray
Adam

Filters: 79
It might be easier to use a "normal" photo editing software, like Photoshop or GIMP or the like, but you could use Filter Forge if you want. Color balance and tone curve are your friends. You could save time by batch-processing all the scans with the same color shift, or adjust each photo manually, up to you. There's no "correct" result; There's a certain charm to color imbalances in older photographs.
...or something like that.
  Details E-Mail
Haras Arch
Hara's Crown
Both of you, thank you so much for taking the time to reply on a holiday weekend! I was thinking of using Filter Forge to do the color correcting -- and I think there are some filters that could do a fine job of shifting the color in the way described in some of the articles that chrisd suggested looking for -- but I'll also think about how to do it in other programs.

I do think I'll have to do each slide individually because each one may need personal attention to get it right.
  Details E-Mail
Mark321
Colorado USA

YouTube videos might help too. smile:)
"Art really can have a purpose."
  Details E-Mail

Join Our Community!

Filter Forge has a thriving, vibrant, knowledgeable user community. Feel free to join us and have fun!

29,459 Registered Users
+13 new in 7 days!

137,919 Posts
+6 new last day!

13,450 Topics
+9 new in 7 days!

Online Users Last 5 minutes:

12 unregistered users.

Recent Wiki Edits:

Follow filterforge on Twitter