Login - Create Account

Trial question/s

Login or Register to post new topics or replies
bgt
bgt
Hi. New trial user here.

A few quick questions to help me decide which version of FF to buy.
I work with multi layered files. Usually 6000x4000 300dpi layers. I can work around the 3000x3000 limits of the Basic and Standard versions. But I'm not so sure I can go without the support for 16 bit. So that leaves me with the Pro version. OK I hate spending money but I'll accept that I need Pro.

questions -

1/ image dimensions are limited to 3000x3000 in some versions I guess for a performance reason. But how does DPI/PPI affect FF? I always work in 300dpi.

2/ in the trial version I could download more/new filters.Yesterday I tried to download some more and I was told I needed to have the latest version to continue. (A later version of FF7). Does this mean I have to constantly update FF?

more questions to come!!

I'm a Topaz refugee and like what I see with FF. I look forward to annoying everyone with more questions into the future. smile;)

regards
  Details E-Mail
Rachel Duim
So Called Tortured Artist

Filters: 73
1) The 3000x3000 limit for the Basic/Standard edition is a "features" sale point. The Standard program is essentially the same as the Pro with limitations.

Filter Forge ignores DPI and renders pixel for pixel, that is, if an input image is 4000x3000, the output is 4000x3000. You can adjust DPI yourself for your own purposes or resize in Photoshop or a similar graphic editing program.

2) Filter Forge 7 was just released, so updates will occur more often for now. FF requires that you have the latest version to download filters. Updates will be not be constant, however. Updating will not affect your trial period, so if you have 20 days left before updating, you will have 20 days after updating.

Good luck with your testing!
Math meets art meets psychedelia.
  Details E-Mail
bgt
bgt
Thanks Rachel.

Am I right in assuming that when I purchase FF7 my current installation will remain and will only require a license key? Or will it require a new download and install?
I ask this because I use Photoline as my editor and had to modify the FF7 config file from 'false' to 'true' to get it to work as a plugin from within Photoline. That caused other computer issues. Long story!! (FF7 still wont work as an external program from Photoline. Something, I believe, that the Photoline developers have contacted FF about).

regards
  Details E-Mail
GMM
Filter Forge, Inc
bgt, welcome to the forums!

bgt wrote:
Does this mean I have to constantly update FF?

Yes, you always need to have the latest program version to be able to download filters. If you don't need new library filters you can skip updates.

bgt wrote:
Am I right in assuming that when I purchase FF7 my current installation will remain and will only require a license key?

Right. Filter Forge is shareware with a single installation for the trial and registered versions.

bgt wrote:
I believe, that the Photoline developers have contacted FF about

Right, and we have replied back. Photoline devs need to make their editor compatible with the Adobe 8BF plugin standard, and then we'll be able to add Photoline as officially supported host from our side.
Until then, I suggest you use copy-paste to transfer images between FF and Photoline.
  Details E-Mail
bgt
bgt
Thanks GMM. I have FF7 working fine with Photoline as a plugin with the single change in the config file. However it wont work as an external editor from Photoline. I have FF7 working now and will leave the compatibility issues to wiser heads.

regards
  Details E-Mail

Join Our Community!

Filter Forge has a thriving, vibrant, knowledgeable user community. Feel free to join us and have fun!

29,454 Registered Users
+16 new in 7 days!

137,903 Posts
+18 new last day!

13,448 Topics
+8 new in 7 days!

Online Users Last minute:

7 unregistered users.

Recent Wiki Edits:

Follow filterforge on Twitter