Login - Create Account

Cannot Run Filter Forge

Login or Register to post new topics or replies
Shawn Olson
Technical Artist
If you already have Filter Forge running, several of the integrated functions do not work as expected. For example, if you want to open the Filter Forge Librarian or if you want to run Filter Forge as a plugin inside of painting app (like Corel PHOTO-PAINT) you get this message:

Open Filter Forge Librarian when FF is already open:

Cannot run Filter Forge Librarian. Filter Forge or Filter Forge Librarian is already running.

Click on Filter Forge in PHOTOPAINT if FF is open:

Filter Forge is running -- use Alt+Tab to switch to it.

Cannot run Filter Forge -- the program is already running.

The double notice in second case is confusing... and even if you switch to it in the plugin-case, it won't sent strait into the app because FF is not in it's plugin mode (and has no Apply button).

Being able to open and get filters from the library while FF is open seems like a natural thing to do to me. Seems very awkward to have to close FF in order to open the FF librarian.
Shawn Olson
  Details E-Mail
GMM
Filter Forge, Inc
Sorry, this is by design even if you expected another behavior.

Shawn Olson wrote:
Being able to open and get filters from the library while FF is open seems like a natural thing to do

You can perfectly get filters from the library while FF is open. However you can't run two FF-related programs at a time.
  Details E-Mail
Shawn Olson
Technical Artist
Thanks for the feedback.

I must be doing something wrong because I've installed the FF Librarian and the filters in it do not appear in the Library Filters unless I open FF Librarian, browse for the filters, select them, then click the Send to Filter Forge button.

But if FF is already open, I must close FF, then open FF Librarian, send the filters to FF, close FF Librarian then open FF. This is the part that feels disjointed.

Is there a way to get the FF Library browser inside FF to also browse the filters that come with FF Librarian without this back and forth?
Shawn Olson
  Details E-Mail
GMM
Filter Forge, Inc
I'm afraid I don't understand your use case.

Library backup is an offline filter archive, and Librarian is a tool to preview filters and sel ect specific filters before loading them from the backup. Its intended usage is as follows: you run Librarian, select some filters that appeal to you (or press Ctrl+A to select all filters) and send them to FF. You don't need to run Librarian any more unless your OS crashes and you need to load all software back fr om scratch. This is what backups are made for.

I assume you're doing something else and feel disappointed since it doesn't match your expectations?
  Details E-Mail
Shawn Olson
Technical Artist
No please don't get me wrong at all. I'm not disappointed smile:) I was just sharing what I initially thought was a bug, but then just explaining why I feel like it is a little awkward.

My personal opinion is that the browser inside FF should see all the filters you happen to have in the FF library so there is no need to open up another app to search--especially since closing down FF just to open the library isn't something I would expect.

In any event, I enjoy FF. I am just sharing feedback. Please do not read disappointment into my post smile:)
Shawn Olson
  Details E-Mail
GMM
Filter Forge, Inc
Thank you for your feedback smile:)
I agree that loading filters from a separate program may feel a bit counter-intuitive but it needs to be done once or very rarely.
  Details E-Mail

Join Our Community!

Filter Forge has a thriving, vibrant, knowledgeable user community. Feel free to join us and have fun!

29,459 Registered Users
+17 new in 7 days!

137,914 Posts
+7 new last day!

13,449 Topics
+8 new in 7 days!

Online Users Last minute:

7 unregistered users.

Recent Wiki Edits:

Follow filterforge on Twitter