Login - Create Account

Problems with Filter in FF 7

Login or Register to post new topics or replies
EAdams

Yesterday I downloaded the filter Flower Petal Maker and tried to use it from within Photoshop CC 2018 (newest version).

I started Photoshop, created a new square image filled with white (2500 x 2500 pixel) and called Filter Forge 7 from the Filter menu. The above filter was the active filter and the main preset looked fine in the preview. When I applied the filter and returned to Photoshop, the petals were no longer there. Instead, around the white hole in the middle of the image the colored petal texture filled up the entire rest of the canvas. I called FF again and tried another preset, but the same thing happened.

I tried some other filters to see if they worked correctly and they did.

One day later (today) I decided to try it again. After all, I had re-booted my computer in the meantime, so I figured it might work.

I loaded Photoshop and created a new image, this time 2000 x 2000. I called FF 7 from the Filter menu and a different filter was the active one. I was able to apply it and return to Photoshop with no problems. I called FF again from the Filter menu then started to type "Flower Petal Maker" in the search field to find the filter I had been having problems with, but as soon as FF started showing me the search results for "Flower" it froze and I could no longer move the mouse cursor into the FF window. I tried this several times, and each time both FF and Photoshop were frozen as soon as I searched for "Flower". I also tried the procedure using a smaller image (1000 x 1000 pixels) but the same thing happened.

Then I decided to try the filter in FF 7 as a standalone. To my surprise, the same thing happened. I can search for other criteria (like "grunge") and apply the filters I find, but if I search for "Flower" FF immediately freezes.

What could be the cause of this phenomenon and how can I fix it? I am using version 7.006 of FF and FF says it is the latest version.
  Details E-Mail
Indigo Ray
Adam

Filters: 79
I can't speak for the petals disappearing.

As for Filter Forge freezing... this is a wild guess, but do you happen to have downloaded Flower by Ken? If so, try deleting that filter.
...or something like that.
  Details E-Mail
CFandM
ForgeSmith

Filters: 249
Seems to me that it could be the set/get alpha components...A mix of FF1 and FF6...The middle circle is close to the end result but the one for the flower is the one giving the problem with the flower vanishing......If you edit the filter try adding this to the filters tree.....Connect the Set Alpha to the result component.....

As far as freezing, do you know what filter you had selected when you were doing the search?.....I try myself but could not get a crash or freeze....

Stupid things happen to computers for stupid reasons at stupid times!
  Details E-Mail
CFandM
ForgeSmith

Indigo Ray wrote:
As for Filter Forge freezing... this is a wild guess, but do you happen to have downloaded Flower by Ken? If so, try deleting that filter.

I just tried with Kens Flower filter and it comes up in the search before the petal filter and FF tries to render it....So as Indigo Ray suggested delete that filter if you have it...

Also before opening Filter Forge in photoshop make sure that the layer (in photoshop) is a layer and not the background layer....Just double click that or create a new layer then open the filter forge plugin.......I tried this in a different version of PS and the flower is only present when used on a layer.....

Details E-Mail
EAdams

Thank you Indigo Ray and CFandM! Deleting Ken's Flower filter and applying the Petal Maker Filter to a layer that is not the background layer fixed the problems.

Many filters work fine on a background layer, so I have got used to just using the background layer if I want to just try some filters out, but I won't do that any more. smile:)
  Details E-Mail
CFandM
ForgeSmith

EAdams wrote:
Thank you Indigo Ray and CFandM! Deleting Ken's Flower filter and applying the Petal Maker Filter to a layer that is not the background layer fixed the problems.

smile:)
  Details E-Mail

Join Our Community!

Filter Forge has a thriving, vibrant, knowledgeable user community. Feel free to join us and have fun!

29,459 Registered Users
+12 new in 7 days!

137,923 Posts
+63 new in 7 days!

13,450 Topics
+8 new in 7 days!

Online Users Last 5 minutes:

GMM, 11 unregistered users.

Recent Wiki Edits:

Follow filterforge on Twitter