Login - Create Account

FF7 freezes after processing image in Photoshop CC 2018

Login or Register to post new topics or replies
RichardL
Hi

This happens 100% of the time with Photoshop CC 2018 and FF7.005 Pro on Win7x64.

The FF progress bar freezes very close to the finish. I have to force quit FF7, and when I do, the FF7 has successfully processed the image and returned the filtered image to PS as the layer updates successfully.

I copied my FF7 installation over from PS CS6 - does FF7 need to be installed into CC 2018 rather than copied?

Thanks
Richard
  Details E-Mail
GMM
Filter Forge, Inc
RichardL wrote:
The FF progress bar freezes

Please elaborate on "freezes". How long did you wait until killing FF?

RichardL wrote:
does FF7 need to be installed into CC 2018 rather than copied?

Generally yes, but it is not the cause of your issues. Copying can prevent the plugin from functioning at all but this is not your case.
  Details E-Mail
RichardL
At least a minute.
  Details E-Mail
RichardL
Also, Photoshop itself seems unaffected, and continues to function normally after FF7 is force quit.
  Details E-Mail
GMM
Filter Forge, Inc
A minute? Some filters take days (literally, dozens of hours) to render – a minute doesn't seem too much for me.

Please try to reproduce the issue on this particular filter which is known to be fast and stable.
  Details E-Mail
RichardL
That seems OK, but I think the problem may be that the Filter Forge executable does not always quit, which I think is what was preventing Photoshop (PS) completing the operation and returning control to its own GUI.

I clicked to install the filter you suggested, and once it had installed, I quit FF in order to try out the operation again in PS.

As soon as I tried to bring up FF as a plugin within PS, I was told that FF was already running. Sure enough there it was in Task Manager. I force quit FF, and then tried to apply the operation again inside PS and it worked fine.

So there might be an issue with FF not quitting properly sometimes, preventing PS from returning control to its own GUI.

Also, I did not say in my message that the entire FF process took one minute as your reply suggests. I said that once the progress bar had very nearly finished, I waited for at least one minute for the process to complete that last 1% or so, and it failed to do so.
  Details E-Mail
GMM
Filter Forge, Inc
RichardL wrote:
does not always quit

It always quits but it doesn't always do it instantaneously. In some cases FF needs several minutes to drop the caches, release the memory and terminate. We're looking into making this process faster.

RichardL wrote:
Also, I did not say in my message that the entire FF process took one minute as your reply suggests.

Sorry for being no clear enough. I meant to say if your render takes like 6 hours, one more minute of waiting doesn't make difference.
Since you can't reproduce the issue with every filter, I assume the issue lies in specific filters and not in Filter Forge.
  Details E-Mail
RichardL
I don't remember these long delays with FF4 and CS6, and am now working on CC2018 and FF7 so will keep an eye on it and see if I can reproduce. I may be wrong but FF7 seems quicker when processing the layer data, but slower to finish up, but as I say I'm in a new operating environment so will see if a pattern develops.
  Details E-Mail

Join Our Community!

Filter Forge has a thriving, vibrant, knowledgeable user community. Feel free to join us and have fun!

29,459 Registered Users
+6 new last day!

137,913 Posts
+13 new last day!

13,449 Topics
+8 new in 7 days!

Online Users Last 5 minutes:

chrisd, 11 unregistered users.

Recent Wiki Edits:

Follow filterforge on Twitter