Login - Create Account

Batch GUI Tool for Windows

Messages 136 - 180 of 234
First | Prev. | 2 3 4 5 6 | Next | Last 
Login or Register to post new topics or replies
aba
Batchman
Again a few (minor) user interface updates (version 0.96).

Now you can/must drag the filters/sources to the "working space", so that you know whre they appear.
You can make the screen bigger if you want (usefull if you have too many filters in it to be readable when zooming out)
You can open the filter in FilterForge on the tab where you select the presets.

As usual you can find it at: FFBatchTool downloadpage

Hope I didn't introduce ana bugs, please let me know...

@SpaceRay: thanks for testing and your enthousiastic comments!
  Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

Filters: 33
Thanks very much for the upgrade, and for keeping improving it, I was going to ask you to be possible to make the screen bigger, that did not want to keep requesting things and make you work more.

I have also made a greetings message that you can see in this direct link to this other thread

Proper batch tools = instant FF4 upgrade
  Details E-Mail
dovoto
dovoto
I get the following when attempting to run the application for the first time:

"...x86.exe not found! Please check your settings and FF version"

It appears to be hard coded on startup to use the beta 4 version of FF installed to the C drive. It then shuts down without actually giving you the ability to change/select the version. As I do not have beta 4 installed on the C drive it will not start up (although I may move it just to try your tool out as it looks pretty slick).

Thanks.
  Details E-Mail
aba
Batchman
Hi dovoto,
When I change the location of my FF-exe the batch tool opens at the preferences page, after a warning (of two) that it cannot find the executable. Then I can change the FF command-line renderer executable (change button) to the desired executable. It has to correspond with the version in the select-box on the same tab. I'm sorry but I have not enough information to see what is wrong. Could it be user-rights? Maybe you are the first one to tries it on Windows 8? If you find something, let me know...

Details E-Mail
MKB
mkbreuer
Filters: 47
For Dovoto!

For running the FFBatchGUI you need:
> a new trial installation
> or a full running beta 4 version of FF.

You can get a beta key to use the beta version beyond the 30-day trial period,
if you have any Version of FF.

Beta Key Request

For ABA!

Great Tool!!!
I found it today and now i will see what i can do with it.
THX for sharing this with us!!! smile:)
Just simple, but not simpler. (A.E)
  Details E-Mail
Andromeda74
Hi all,

Is this tool valid for Filter Forge 4 trial?

With trial version the application crash.

Thanks in advance
Sesilla
  Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

Andromeda74

Is this tool valid for Filter Forge 4 trial?

There is no Filter Forge 4 trial yet, I think you mean the beta version, and yes it works very well and for me there is no problem.

have you the latest version of the the tool? (available in the first post of this page)

Have you configured it right?

When does it crash? What happens? Does it give any error message?
  Details E-Mail
Sharandra
Filter Forge Addict

Filters: 26
The Batch tool stopped working for me today. It says "sorry program has expired" if I start it. smile:-(

Edit: redownloading and reinstalling fixed it. must have been the ****** windows updates smile:evil:
  Details E-Mail
aba
Batchman
New version (0.99) is available at: Filter Forge Batch Tool Download Page
It will only work with Filter Forge version 4. Please use the newest version of FF that has been uploaded today, it seems that there are different versions of FF 4.006.
Happy testing smile:)
  Details E-Mail
MKB
mkbreuer
Hi aba!

I have download your tool and after running the exe i got tis message:

Details E-Mail
MKB
mkbreuer
Hi aba!

under TEMP it will only install 3 empty Folder

My Settings are: Win7 prof & FF4
  Details E-Mail
aba
Batchman
Hi mkb,
Th tool should indeed install a FFBatchTool folder in the temp dir (with 2 sub-dirs Batch and BatchFilters), just to save temporary files. Those directories should be empty.
Sorry, but I have no clue... It looks like the program has no rights to read the temp directory, but when it creates a directory it should have those rights. Did it create that FFBatchTool folder? Are you using a special user (with very limited rights)? To which directory did you copy the exe?
  Details E-Mail
MKB
mkbreuer
Hi aba!
The Problem is solved! smile:)
I´d delete the setting folder: AppData > Roaming > Filter Forge Batch Tool
Then i execute it again and now it works...
  Details E-Mail
aba
Batchman
Ok, thanks for letting me (and other users) know.
  Details E-Mail
stevedipaola
is there a way to save several different stacks and run them from a batch file (.bat on windows). can you specify how.
thanks, steve
  Details E-Mail
aba
Batchman
Yes, it is possible but it is not easy. When you execute a batch the program will show the command that you'll need to put in your bat file (next to the button). Just copy and paste it in a bat file. It should be something like: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Filter Forge 4\Bin\FFXCmdRenderer-x86.exe" "C:\Users\<your name>\AppData\Local\Temp\FFBatchTool\Batch\batch.xml" Rename/move the batch.xml and change it in your bat file. The the batch-filters are saved in "C:\Users\<your name>\AppData\Local\Temp\FFBatchTool\BatchFilters" If they are conflicting (same name for different batch) than you'll have to rename the filter and alter the batch.xml. So it should be possible, I would not recommend it. I could implement it in the program (give each batch-run a unique name/number) but for now I have too much other things to do, sorry.
  Details E-Mail
stevedipaola
Thanks this worked like a charm. I made 6 different batches saving each one, testing it with the run button, then with those temp folders open, simply moving the xml, ffxml of the batch and renaming them to my easy to read calling command name (p11,p31, ..) and moving them to a local folder. Now I have a batch file where I can call them in any sequence along with my calls to photoshop batches (actions in photoshop, then made into droplets that I can call ina bat file ). So I have a nice little command language for making dozens of low res/ high res art experiments ( I can run for hours on any folder of srouce images, at night and check the best in morning - running only best at high res).. make art.

The bat file ( win7) looks something like

FOR %%c in (C:\bPS\a\in1\*.*) DO (
echo %%c
ps_levels.exe %%c
ps_vibr-40.exe %PIX%
ffbatch\dist_low.xml
ffbatch\p11.xml
ps_levels.exe %PIX%
ps_pDabs11.exe %PIX%
ffbatch\p12.xml
ps_levels.exe %PIX%
ps_aEdges194.exe %PIX%\
ffbatch\p31.xml
ps_levels.exe %PIX%
ps_pDabs11.exe %PIX%
ffbatch\p33.xml
)

where anything starting with ps_ - is calling specific photoshop action set
and anything starting with ffbatch - runs FF via your scripts. Where all save jpegs that the next uses as input.
I left off all the conditional, variables and saving out to files. I have tools where I just make an in1 folder and an out1 folder change some lines and run the experiment where it takes all the in1 images and makes dozens of variations in out2.

Obviously if I had all the commands I need in FF, then I could use your tool completely.

Generally I change this order to make a new art test, run it on any number of sources images at medium res, see them all in the morning, and redo the best at high res source. Always now having repeatable recipes that I can come back to (diff source, change script).

an aside:
I am a programmer and a prof / researcher in generative art. I have written allot of other systems (c++, java, ..) but now love the community, tools and dev speed of writing new filters in FF but until this fix, could not fully get a create sequence of photoshop and ff calls and save them - allowing me to run them on any source images and any res. I tried this solely in photoshop actions/droplets. With actions you then can make droplets which call actions, and then you can run droplets as .exe on the command line ( on in a batch file). While this generally works - it failed miserably on the FF side - where Photoshop and FF called from droplets/actions just was unstable. Among the typically issues, FF filters would run twice rather than once, or you get a "can not communicate with Photoshop" error from the droplet at any time. So using this FFbatch xml call plus direct droplet calls to photoshop in one batch looks like all is working and I can sit now and make dozens of experiments just from commands.

obviously I am using this differently than most ( no animation, batching from my script rather than your tool, using your tool to make commands that can be run from other programs in an order) but what fun and thanks for making a flexible system that can be used differently.
thanks, steve
  Details E-Mail
aba
Batchman
I'm glad that you can use my tool. I Googled your name and I'm impressed...
If you find a bug, or want some new feature, let me know.
  Details E-Mail
mitaywalle
Great to meet you :)

Filters: 34
Ou my God, this is freaking wanderful tool, and actually what i need, MANY THANKS, ABA smile:)
Randomize everithing!
  Details E-Mail
aba
Batchman
Thanks for letting me know that you like the batchtool!
  Details E-Mail
Kelleytoons
Mike Kelley
Thank you so much for this -- I can't get FF to work in any of the PS versions I have (I'm on the Creative Cloud) so this was a life saver.

Runs on Win 8.1, if anyone's interested.
  Details E-Mail
Kelleytoons
Mike Kelley
And not to look a gift horse (because that would be unkind) but I can't get this to work when I select a random variation, at least on the one filter I tried (the Chalk one, and varying scratch or some such). It keeps crashing with a memory error.

I'll try animating some other parameters but for now I'm a *bit* disappointed (since the animation of parameters is kind of important for, well, animation, which is all a batch renderer is really needed for).

I assume the command line interface doesn't just give the option to vary "Variation", which is the MOST useful variation to be able to animate. Unless there's a way for yours to do this, which I don't quite see (do I create two separate presets with just a variation difference between them? I'll give that a try).
  Details E-Mail
Kelleytoons
Mike Kelley
Hmmm - I guess what I really need this to do it won't.

For FF to be useful with use with animation programs it should be able to apply the same filter with different variations to each frame. Otherwise the result looks like one filter "overlaid" on top of the animation. To give a concrete example, if you use a filter that looks like it was drawn with chalk on each frame of the animation the illusion vanishes -- it looks more like someone is *viewing* the original animation through a chalk filter.

What you really need to do is just vary, for each frame, the filter in some manner. You'd think your program could do that, but it can't. It's "animation" is only animation when it comes to a single frame. The only way I could do it would be to somehow set this up for each and every frame with a different variation (and I might as well do that in FF itself).

Too bad -- I could have seen some great uses for this in animation. As it stands it's a VERY niche application (which is why you only have about three people who seem to be using it here).

If you ever do get the ability to run a different variation on each image supplied please let me know -- many of the pro animators I work with would LOVE it.
  Details E-Mail
aba
Batchman
Hi Mike,
the tool was originally buid to stack filters and/or to apply a (stacked) filter on many sources. Animation was not my main goal. The tool can take an source image an generate a lineair serie of images from one filter-preset to an other (and also make an animated gif). That is an other kind of animation as you describe. I understand that you already have an animation (serie of frames) and want to apply a filter but with variations per frame. My problem with this is if those variations are random than I cannot imagine a nice outcome. So I should delve deeper in how an animation like that would be useful. As you noticed, there are just a few users of this tool and I doubt that making it a better batch-animation tool, or making a seperate tool for animation would be worth the effort.
Anyway, thanks for your feedback!
  Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

this tool is really great BUT is missing a preview window test to see how it will look the result, and I think and understand that is not possible to do this because to be able to do it you will need to RENDER already a preview of it, so is not something bad from your tool, is from filter forge not including this inside the software itself
  Details E-Mail
ThreeDee
Lost in Space

Filters: 111
Hi Mike,

There are some workarounds to get the batch process to produce a different result each time on moving footage, but they involve modifying the filter itself.

One approach is to read a specific pixel (or the average color, minimum or maximum value of external image) fr om the input image (which changes from frame to frame) and use that value to modify something in the filter. A relatively simple method would be to offset a noise component somewh ere in the filter. That would already give different results for each frame.

Modifying specific aspects of a filter based on (small random variations in the) input may well be better than getting a completely random variation on every frame, which may turn into something resembling random noise on playback.
  Details E-Mail
mkultra72
Great work with this! Thanks a lot smile:)

Is the earlier version for FF3.0 available somewhere?

I use the demo version of FF4 and it seems to work.

One thing though, on most filters there aren't any selectable parameters (for animating) will this be implemented, or is this a bug for me? It seems like 4.0 filters often have at least one or a few though.

Not sure what i did, but i managed to make an animation from the filter called "alien muscle" (no, not just animating between the different saved presets). No idea what i did though since it did not have anything selectable.

Put up a paypal donation button, i'm sure a lot of people here would consider donating for this project smile:)
  Details E-Mail
aba
Batchman
Hi mkultra72,

Sorry, I didn't save any older versions, the latest version works only with FF4.

After selecting 2 presets in the Filter presets and animation window, you can see the controls (and their values) which are used to animate in the FilterInfo window (tab next to the Filter presets and animation window).

I made the tool for (complex) batch processing (multiple inputs, more presets at once and stacking of filters), the animation/animated gif is just added for fun. FF is slowly "upgrading" to version 5, but that is too expensive for me. So don't expect a FF5 version of this tool. I don't think that a paypal donation button would give me much, but thanks for the idea.
  Details E-Mail
CFandM
ForgeSmith

Filters: 249
aba wrote: I made the tool for (complex) batch processing (multiple inputs, more presets at once and stacking of filters), the animation/animated gif is just added for fun. FF is slowly "upgrading" to version 5, but that is too expensive for me. So don't expect a FF5 version of this tool. I don't think that a paypal donation button would give me much, but thanks for the idea.

I sent you a mail.. smile;)
Stupid things happen to computers for stupid reasons at stupid times!
  Details E-Mail
aba
Batchman
FF is slowly "upgrading" to version 5, but that is too expensive for me. So don't expect a FF5 version of this tool.

Thanks to CFandM, there soon will be a new version of the BatchTool that works with FF4 and FF5! smile:)
  Details E-Mail
mkultra72
@ aba: ahh,i thought that function would skip frames, i really didnt get that it was what i was looking for the whole time lol.. why can you sometimes select things in animation though, but often you can't?

Now i bought the FF4 upgrade just because of your tool smile:)

Also, how very nice of CFandM!

Here's an animation i did, of fractals doing a high-five! smile:D

https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/hpho...8285_n.mp4
  Details E-Mail
aba
Batchman
@kmultra72: I'm glad to hear that you like my tool, and to see that you can make a nice animation with it.

I don't know what you mean by
why can you sometimes sel ect things in animation though, but often you can't?
maybe this helpes:

The tool uses the values of SliderControls, IntSliderControls, AngleControls, AntiAlias, ColorControls and ColorMapControls of the two (or more) presets and generates frames/images from the values between those presets.

intSliderControls and AntiAlias are controlled with whole numbers. Not very useful for animation, but you could render range of values is one batchrun. If a preset has a intSliderControl with value 1 and the next has a value of 10, you could render them all by setting the number of images between presets to 8.
  Details E-Mail
mkultra72
I meant in the selection window that says "OR render all values of initslider", sometimes you can select things there, sometimes the list is empty. But nevermind, not important, it works really good smile:)
  Details E-Mail
aba
Batchman
@kmultra72: that should be a list of all intSlidersControls of that filter. Not every filter has an intSliderControl. If you can't select an existing intSliderControl than it's a bug, please let me know.
  Details E-Mail
mkultra72
Yes ok, its probably due to the filters not having that specific control and not a bug.
  Details E-Mail
FFCreator
FFCreator
@aba - Batchman
Thank you for sharing this tool.
I was looking for a similar tool myself (see beta 5 forum) but you already made it more or less!
aba wrote:
I don't think that a paypal donation button would give me much, but thanks for the idea.

Why not, give people a chance to express a little appreciation and to encourage further development (like GUI enhancements and more animation options)!

FFBatchtool can "morph" between 2 presets of a filter.
With FF 5 (beta) the folllowing animation / video workflow should be possible (I can not test it; currently your tool is working with version 4) :
1 Choose a filter and a preset.
2 Lock the randomization for all parameters, except the one(s) you want to change.
3 Randomize till you find a result that you like.
4 Save the result as a new preset.
5 Use FFBatchtool to morph between 2 presets.
6 Import the pictures (frames)in a video editor or video composer, add additional effects (optional) and export the result as an animation or as a video file.

Can you confirm that the next release of your tool is compatible with version 5 and will make the workflow above possible?

If so, your tool will probably "sell" me the FF pro 5 update (locking parameters from randomization)!
  Details E-Mail
aba
Batchman
@FFCreator: I don't know exactly what you mean by "morph", but the FFBatchtool can generate images between two presets. It won't make one morphed image, just different images wich are sometimes useful for animation. It will only take the values of the SliderControls, IntSliderControls, AngleControls, AntiAlias, ColorControls and ColorMapControls of the two presets and generates frames/images from the values between those presets. Other controls won't have influence and controls that stay the same won't either. So for step 2 you have to be sure that you're only varying this kind of parameters. For animation you normally should not vary intSliders, there are no values between two whole numbers, it will switch between those values. The randomizing has (as you say) to be done in FF, the batchtool only calculates the values between two controlvalues. If the second preset has a different value on an other type of control, than the result won't be like you will expect.
After generating the images you could import them in a video editor, I've never done that but that should not be difficult. You can, if you like, run another filter batch over all the genereated images/frames for additional effects.
I really don't want to "sell" you FF5, I don't ever use randomization smile:).
The tool will be compatible with FF5 soon but it will not have any new options, as I can't think of new useful options. GUI enhancements would be a matter of taste I think, but suggestions are welcome.
  Details E-Mail
FFCreator
FFCreator
aba wrote:
I don't know exactly what you mean by "morph", but the FFBatchtool can generate images between two presets

Yes, that is what I mean (English is not my mother tongue).
aba wrote:
It will only take the values of the SliderControls, IntSliderControls, AngleControls, AntiAlias, ColorControls and ColorMapControls of the two presets and generates frames/images from the values between those presets.

Fair enough!
aba wrote:
I really don't want to "sell" you FF5, I don't ever use randomization

I meant it in an ironic positive way. Your tool makes selective randomization in FF 5 (new feature) more useful. I doubted whether I want to spent the (preorder) upgrade price for FF5. In FF5 you can find quick and with more control new nice presets (a new feature is disabling parameters from randomization). With your tool it is possible to generate frames (pictures) with parameter values between these presets (f.i. for video projects). So your tool adds for me value to alternative workflows and in the decision to upgrade or not... smile:)

Thanks for sharing your useful tool!
  Details E-Mail
aba
Batchman
You can find the new version of my tool on My Webpage. It should work with FF version 4 and version 5. In the preference tab you can change the FF version and after that you will have to close and restart the tool (that is no bug, that's lazy programming smile:)). Have fun with it.
  Details E-Mail
FFCreator
FFCreator
I did a quick test with FF 5 beta and the new 1.0 version of your tool (after switching your tool to FF 5).

I made a new preset for a filter and used your tool to generate an animated gif morphing the parameters between a "factory" preset and the new preset.

Everything seems to be OK and as expected.
So thanks again for your updated tool.
  Details E-Mail
aba
Batchman
Thanks for letting me know.
  Details E-Mail
mkultra72
I've noticed that if you sel ect a folder with images it doesnt animate between two filter presets (like it does if you just choose a texture size). Instead, if you choose two presets it will animate all pictures with preset 1 and then restart fr om image 1 and and animate those with preset 2.

Would it be possible to have it animate each image in the same way as if you would just have sel ected a texture size? That would be really handy smile:)

Not sure if im doing something wrong or if there's a way around it already.

Edit: heh, what's up with this forum making a space when writing "sel ect" and "fr om"?? Really odd behavior. Tried fixing it, but it reverts back to making spaces in those words.
  Details E-Mail
aba
Batchman
Ok, it is good that you mention it. Animation only works with one image at a time. Sorry, no work around I think. smile:(

I think "they" are affraid that you will write something like: "sel ect * fr om users" (or "dr op table users" or even better some javascript)... This shows that the forum-designer is trying to prevent attacs.
  Details E-Mail
mkultra72
Ah ok, too bad, but it's a great tool anyways smile:)
  Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

i have thought to use just only ONE source image and then apply to this image 64 FF different filters, one preset for each filter, so I would get 64 different images using the same source

I suposse that this Bach tool works now with FF 5.07, Although I forgot how it was the way to do this, I will try to remember, but If you would be so kind to help on how to configure the tool to do this would be great and appreciated

Thanks for your help
  Details E-Mail

Messages 136 - 180 of 234
First | Prev. | 2 3 4 5 6 | Next | Last 

Join Our Community!

Filter Forge has a thriving, vibrant, knowledgeable user community. Feel free to join us and have fun!

29,456 Registered Users
+6 new last day!

137,906 Posts
+21 new last day!

13,448 Topics
+8 new in 7 days!

Online Users Last 5 minutes:

9 unregistered users.

Recent Wiki Edits:

Follow filterforge on Twitter