Login - Create Account

FF on a 2nd computer

Login or Register to post new topics or replies
Bongo

Sorry if this has been asked before, I did search.

Can I install FF on a 2nd computer, 1 on my laptop and 1 on my desktop only using 1 at a time?

Thank you
Jerry
  Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

Filters: 33
The answer you are looking for may be inside the Terms of Use

I have seen already some information on another thread about this, but can´t remember where and could not find it when searching, sorry.
  Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

I found the information

GMM
Unfortunately our license doesn't permit installing on several machines.

So you can´t install it in your desktop and laptop as it would require a second key to activate filter forge on the second computer
for more information see these threads

I have 2 primary machines I use, one at work and one at home. Does the FF license terms allow for multiple installs? There would only ever be one instance active (since I can't be in two places at once )

http://filterforge.com/forum/read.php?FID=5&TID=9215

I am wondering before I buy it - can I use this on my laptop & pc without paying for 2 copies?

http://filterforge.com/forum/read.php?FID=5&TID=5067
  Details E-Mail
Skybase
2D/3D Generalist

Filters: 75
As a general legal rule of thumb: most programs don't let you install software on multiple computers unless you have multiple licenses or otherwise stated by the software company. smile;)
  Details E-Mail
ddaydreams
Frank Hawkins
Filters: 1
Bongo you should use the contact tab at the top of this page and ask the software makers there. And when you find out, please post answer here.
  Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

Skybase

As a general legal rule of thumb: most programs don't let you install software on multiple computers unless you have multiple licenses or otherwise stated by the software company

Yes this is true, and they do not allow to install it in 2 desktop computers, but I have seen that some programs allow to install on 2 computers IF they are one desktop AND one battery powered computer (like a laptop), it seems that there is a way to check if the computer you are installing it can be identified as desktop or laptop.

In the new Adobe CC, it allows to install the programs on two computers
  Details E-Mail
Bongo

Thank for the reply's.

Look at this the answer is no
http://www.filterforge.com/forum/read...&TID=11437
  Details E-Mail
GiovannyArce
Concept artist
Weird, this should be take in consideration, Pixologic actually use a system to detect 2 computers running at the same time, this is good for running 1 desktop computer and 1 laptop (they have an online form where you can deactivate your license). 3D-Coat (pilgway) use another system that let you run the license in one windows machine and in one os x machine (it also have an option inside the software to deactivate the license). Adobe is using the same in Creative Cloud, it lets you use your licence in mac or pc but you need to login to use it and it allows you to use it in just one machine at the time. Autodesk is using something similar with their cloud subscription, and I could go with a list. I know this is in the Terms of Use, but this should be considered.
  Details E-Mail
kwatsch
Just to put my 2 cents in:
I was close to upgrade my old V2 version to a lifetime one. But this (imho) restrictive policy stopped me from doing this.
I am legally using my Photoshop on both my Laptop + my Desktop, so I need my tools
on both computers.

There are lots of examples which do support this policy or at least allow to easily deactivate the license on a computer (3DCoat, 3Dsmax, Zbrush, Directory Opus, Listary etc...)

I fully support paid software but to impede legal customers is not the right way.

Sorry for my bad english.
  Details E-Mail
Baron
Baron
When I create my own plugin filters with C++, I am free to do what I like with the filters I create. I can install them on any number of machines, and I can even sell them if I like.

When I purchased the Filter Forge software I assumed I would be able to use the filters I create with Filter Forge on any number of machines, without restrictions, just as I can with filters I create in C++, but that is not the case.

The software is not a filter creation package, as I mistakenly assumed. It is a customizable filter plugin only. I should have done more research on the Filter Forge software prior to making the purchase.

As far as the editor goes, since you can't use your filters stand alone, the Filter Forge editor should allow you to use it on at least 2 computers.

I have a lot of software which allows use on both a laptop and a desktop, provided they are not used at the same time. Which is a fair restriction.

I use Filter Forge in PaintShop Pro primarily and PaintShop Pro allows installing on both a laptop and a desktop. I need to use the filters I make on 2 machines. Having to buy a second license for my own personal use just so that I can use the filter I created on a second machine seems a bit unusual.

They should seriously look into modifying the restrictions to make it more flexible.

They should either allow a second install of the editor, or at least allow you to use the filters you create with it on a second machine. I'm fine with limiting the editor to 1 machine and allowing me to use my filters on a second machine.

I would prefer unlimited restrictions on the filters I create though. Adding the ability to create a stand alone filter would make me very happy with my purchase. That's what I really want. I would pay extra for that.

Despite that, the software is absolutely fantastic. I love the design. It's very well made and easy to use.
  Details E-Mail

Join Our Community!

Filter Forge has a thriving, vibrant, knowledgeable user community. Feel free to join us and have fun!

29,459 Registered Users
+17 new in 7 days!

137,914 Posts
+7 new last day!

13,449 Topics
+8 new in 7 days!

Online Users Last 5 minutes:

Joseph Skinner, 8 unregistered users.

Recent Wiki Edits:

Follow filterforge on Twitter