Filters: 12
One word:
GENIUS!!!
"From the moment we are born, we start being filtered..."
  Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

Filters: 33
WOW !!! I can´t believe how this has been done! This is really very clever and very well done and I would never have imagined that this could be a way to do it. I am sorry that did not have any hope that this was going to be possible, but I am very happy that I was totally WRONG!

As Lipebianc has said very well, you are a GENIUS !!

Awesome and Amazing how you have make that using the tolls you have used and it is really complex built but works in very good way.

And I think that once you practise with it you will be able to write things with this.

Now I will have to find the way to learn how to write in the best way. I will try it myself and see how can be done.

AND you can even us it as a very complex component smile:D inside other filters and use this for backgrounds, texturing, or other possible uses combining it with other components.

This open a whole new way to use fonts inside FF

Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

And this is the font letters as texture overlay

This is done with the Retro Ovals by Mardar

With this I am not telling to use this against the authors usage rank gain, BUT would be really a pity NOT to use this as a source for other many possible effects that can now be possible and could be like a revolution in the way things can be done.

Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

And what happens if you use this font as a shape?

Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

The FF lifesaver in this fonts style shaped, although this is too rough and can be made more defined and better

I hope that ThreeDee allows and agrees to be able to use his wonderful creation for OTHER uses outside of JUST using the filter as it is.

Details E-Mail
CFandM
ForgeSmith

Filters: 220
Very cool ThreeDee, as always some great stuff... smile;) smile:)
Stupid things happen to computers for stupid reasons at stupid times!
  Details E-Mail
Morgantao
Can't script

Filters: 20
This should get a nobel prize in... Filter forging? smile:D
  Details E-Mail
ThreeDee
Lost in Space

Filters: 101
Thanks, guys!

I definitely encourage to use it as a part of new filter constructions, that is the primary reason I made it. FF can be used to make great text effects, but there hasn't been any painless ways to even get a proper preview made of such. So I hope this helps in adding text to those filters you wished had them and coming up with whole new text-based filters.

When I get a chance, I'll add numbers to the character set.

TD
  Details E-Mail
ThreeDee
Lost in Space

As to inputting custom text, I find it easiest to do the following:

First select all points and drag the Offset Y slider to pull them all down to zero

Zoom up twice and scroll the view to the beginning of the curve.

Select one point at a time, start dragging it up and then hold down shift which contrains the motion and look at the preview render to see the letter change until it is correct.

Deselect current point and do previous step with next point.

---

Other possibilities include:

Select one point at a time and use the Offset Y slider to select the letter.

or

Make a list of what numbers correspond to what letters and type in the numbers in the Offset Y number input field.
  Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

ThreeDee wrote:

I definitely encourage to use it as a part of new filter constructions, that is the primary reason I made it. FF can be used to make great text effects, but there hasn't been any painless ways to even get a proper preview made of such. So I hope this helps in adding text to those filters you wished had them and coming up with whole new text-based filters.

Thanks very much for the encouragement and allowing to use this as a snippet, or as super complex component for making filters, Is true that to make text inside Filter Forge is a very painfull option and takes great time, patience and knowledge, but now thanks to you will be much easier.

EXAMPLES MADE WITH A FILTER OF MY OWN

The examples in the above posts is made with a new filter I am developing myself and will be very good to be able to include this gem of fonts component to it.

Also the example here below is with another different filter that I am also making and works in some different way to the above one

Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

Morgantao:
This should get a nobel prize in... Filter forging?

I think you have started a revolution in filter making and agree totally with Morgantao in that you deserve to get a nobel prize in Filter Forging smile:D This a very clever and amazing way that you have found to do it. At least you deserve a Editor´s pick.

ThreeDee wrote:
When I get a chance, I'll add numbers to the character set.

Oh, yes, to complete the excellence this would be also great and very good add to the filter. I suposse that those will come AFTER the letter Z or at the beginning.

Here is a bigger detail of the above heart example

Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

ThreeDee wrote:

Thanks very much for the advice on how to better input the custom text as I had some trouble doing it as I just beginning to do it. On some presets I could not change the letters and on others I could change them without problem.

ThreeDee wrote:
Make a list of what numbers correspond to what letters and type in the numbers in the Offset Y number input field.

I have just began to make this list before you told about it because would try if this would be easier or faster, than moving the points, I will see which option of the ones given works best.

Here below is the real size of the above heart

Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

ThreeDee wrote:

Well here is the list with the corresponding numbers below, I have made it big so you can print it if you want or need.

Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

HOW TO USE BETTER THIS FILTER FONTS BY THREEDEE

Threedee wrote:

WAY ONE

First select all points and drag the Offset Y slider to pull them all down to zero

Zoom up twice and scroll the view to the beginning of the curve.

Select one point at a time, start dragging it up and then hold down shift which contrains the motion and look at the preview render to see the letter change until it is correct.

Deselect current point and do previous step with next point.

WAY TWO

Other possibilities include:

Select one point at a time and use the Offset Y slider to select the letter.

WAY THREE

Details E-Mail
Mongoose King
Mongoose King

Waahhhhhhh, this is wowcakes!

*Head launches into space*
Release the Mongoose!
  Details E-Mail
ThreeDee
Lost in Space

On some presets I could not change the letters and on others I could change them without problem.

Right, I forgot to mention that you'll have to set the "ABC/Sample/Rnd/Custom" slider at "Custom" (4), the others give you the alphabets, or the "FilterForgedCustom..." text, or random letters.
  Details E-Mail
Morgantao
Can't script

Hey SpaceRay, thanks for the Y value table, this will save time for all of us!

ThreeDee, I love how you implement a curve as a control for something that is totaly not curvy smile:D
Your great method can be used for so much more than text input! You implement the curve to control color, rotation, size, etc. on anything you like. smile8)
  Details E-Mail
Mardar
Graphics Junkie

Filters: 55
ThreeDee this is so awesome I can hardly even understand how you did this. Very great job. smile;)

SpaceRay, love what you did with my Retro Ovals. Very clever. smile;)
  Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

Spaceray wrote:On some presets I could not change the letters and on others I could change them without problem.

ThreeDee wrote:
Right, I forgot to mention that you'll have to set the "ABC/Sample/Rnd/Custom" slider at "Custom" (4), the others give you the alphabets, or the "FilterForgedCustom..." text, or random letters.

Oh, sorry I was wrong and did not understand the meaning of the first slider at first, Now I have seen that

FIRST SETTING OF THE FILTER IS AS FOLLOWS

1 - ABC - Gives the whole alphabet but you can´t change it

2 - Gives a SAMPLE example like the ones on the presets but you can´t change it

3 - Makes RANDOM letters appear to fill the place you have defined with the settings but you can´t change it

4 - Allows you to make CUSTOM text designs and enter your own text as you want it.

PRESETS HAVE CORRESPONDING SETTINGS TO THE ABOVE AS FOLLOWS

PRESET 1 = ABC

PRESET 2 = SAMPLE

PRESET 3 = RANDOM

PRESET 4 = CUSTOM This is the only one you can change and customize

PRESET 5 = ABC
( LARGE LETTERS)

PRESET 6 = ABC ( BOLD LETTERS)

PRESET 7 = ABC ( THIN LETTERS)

PRESET 8 = SAMPLE

PRESET 9 = SAMPLE
  Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

Here is a custom text I have made. Well at first is not easy to use it, BUT I think that with practice and learning how to do it right it will be easy.

Morgantao wrote

Hey SpaceRay, thanks for the Y value table, this will save time for all of us!

Glad you find it useful and is made for all of you to use this awesome fonts better. smile:)

BE AWARE: Also I have seen that the table I have done above is not always the same and depends also on the X values, so do NOT move the X values for this Y values of the table to be true.

Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

Mardar wrote:

SpaceRay, love what you did with my Retro Ovals. Very clever.

Glad you like it. I found your good filter in my list and thought that I could test the fonts as source trying different settings and experimenting with the connections and see which one could work right.

Morgantao wrote:

Your great method can be used for so much more than text input! You implement the curve to control color, rotation, size, etc. on anything you like.

Can this be used to other things than this text input ????? smile:?: smile:?: Please, could you be so kind to explain more HOW this could be used in others ways ? Thanks.
  Details E-Mail
Morgantao
Can't script

One example off the top of my head is you can have a square made of tiles. You could adapt the curve method to control the color of each tile.
Basically, in this example, the X value would be the selected tile, and the Y value will be the color.
Another example: Suppose you have a bunch of shapes scattered arond the image. You can use the curve to rotate each shape individualy.
  Details E-Mail
ThreeDee
Lost in Space

You can stretch the output with the Scale component. That way you can get plenty more variety in letter styles. Or make it italic with Offset or Lookup.

Details E-Mail
ThreeDee
Lost in Space

You implement the curve to control color, rotation, size, etc. on anything you like.

Indeed. The Bezier Curve control is a very versatile component. I don't know what the limit of points you can add to it is, but it doesn't stop at 100.

You can also input other interesting data, such as graph values or x, y and z coordinates this way. In fact, anything where you want to input multiple (specific) values with one control.
  Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

This could also be used as typographic pattern texture with LOTS of letters making a big grid filled with them.

HOW TO GET 2500 RANDOM LETTERS in a 2000x2000 image ?

Well, is very easy,

just put the first selector in the number 3,

then put in settings letters per line = 10,

and then using the Size,pixels slider reduce the value to about 400 (less than half than the original value of 2000) and you will see that the screen is instantly filled with thousands of letters (in my case is 50x50 letters = 2500).

To end you can use the Variation slider to choose which random collection you

I have originally configured the new image at 2000x2000 for this one but you can ALSO do it after. Although you can choose the size that you would like.

Also you can configure the other settings as you wish,here are my own settings I have used for the example below that are EXACTLY THE SAME settings as PRESET 4.

So if you want this same settings just use the preset 4 and then ONLY change the first slider from 4 to 3.

If you want bigger letters as final result, just rise the resolution and you will have bigger letters.

I have choosen to make it random letter because is the easiest way, BUT you can ALSO use words instead of random letters

Here below is the result that is not complete, is the most part of it.

Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

As said above you can configure your OWN to fill the whole page of words and not just isolated letters, and then follow the same EXACTLY the same steps as above BUT in this case the first selector MUST be on the number 4.

Or optionally choose the Preset 4 if you would like to use the sample already available in this preset, as I have done below for this example.

BE AWARE - Keep the words in whole inside the SAME line, do not cut them like in preset 4, because when reducing the Size,pixels the words will be cut out if they are on two different lines, because the same line of text will be repeatead along the same line.

The settings are the same as the preset 4

Here below is the result with the text sample of preset 4. This text is done on two different lines so it will be cut.

Imagine it with your own words instead

Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

VERY IMPORTANT
DO NOT FORGET TO SAVE YOUR OWN WORDS AS A PRESET OR YOU WILL LOOSE THEM

Morgantao wrote:
One example off the top of my head is you can have a square made of tiles. You could adapt the curve method to control the color of each tile.
Basically, in this example, the X value would be the selected tile, and the Y value will be the color.
Another example: Suppose you have a bunch of shapes scattered arond the image. You can use the curve to rotate each shape individualy.

Morgantao, thanks for your examples BUT what you have told here, I am sorry to tell that sounds like quantum physics for me smile;) smile:D Perhaps for you is easy but not at all for me, BUT do not worry and bother to explain it more as I will not understand it anyway.

ThreeDee wrote:
You can stretch the output with the Scale component. That way you can get plenty more variety in letter styles. Or make it italic with Offset or Lookup.

Oh, yes, great idea and is true that this would get you even more variety and possible styles. Very good.

HERE below is another example of the above with the Size Pixels slider with a higher value to have bigger letters and less lines, and less words.

Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

I have just seen that THIS FILTER HAS BEEN AWARDED WITH AN EP (Editor´s Pick)

Congratulations, it is of course very well deserved.
  Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

Making some more experiments I have done this to use this filter as a snippet.

Do you recognize it Morgantao ? smile:D

Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

And here is in closer detail to see more the typographical texture

Details E-Mail
Morgantao
Can't script

It's an Alphabet Pit smile;)
  Details E-Mail
Dave S

Filters: 1
Wow ThreeDee... that's more than just a little bit amazing. Not something i think i would have come up with. The concept could be used to generate all sorts of neat things.

Well done! smile:)
  Details E-Mail
Kraellin
Kraellin

Filters: 97
some folks are just too damn good at this smile:D i opened this one up, 3D. VERY clever! messy, but very clever! smile:) i'm still figuring out parts of it, like near the end and how you separated out the letters, but i think i see it. but using the curves to manipulate which letter...brilliant!
If wishes were horses... there'd be a whole lot of horse crap to clean up!

Craig
  Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

I can´t really thank ThreeDee enough for his amazing and awesome work of making a alphabet inside Filter Forge and this is really a very good and excellent thing to have for making other filters and use them in many different ways.

Here is what I have done with this and also the awesome, creative and innovative work of Skybase and his Gradient Circles filter

More can be seen in this other thread Suggestion of GRADIENT SHAPES (not only circles) filter for Skybase
  Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

I do not know if anyone is interested in having this filter as a snippet to be able to use it in your filters (without being able to choose the fonts with the curve editor)

I have modified this filter so you can use it as letters shapes and this is how I have been able to use it with the excellent and awesome Gradients Circles by Skybase as shown here above and also this one below here

Details E-Mail
Rod_D
have you seen my eraser?

Filters: 2
Thanks Three Dee! smile:)

Rod
  Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

See below at the end and example made using directly this same filter without any modification smile:D

Once again I want to give thanks and congratulate ThreeDee for having made this filter, (can´t give enough thanks smile:) ) as now this has also help me a lot to make my new filter of Shapes Collage as making this 28 shapes with bomber it becomes very cmplex and difficult to manage.

So now I have been able to use this gem of filter in two very different ways

Also want to put here that a variation of the examples shown above with the letters is already available in the FF Filter Library

Alphabet Texture Creator

And the extended version with more options and much more customization

Alphabet Texture Creator Extended

JOKE WITH PRESET 4

Here below I have written a text using the preset 4 and modify the first letter and add some more at the end smile;) smile:D

Details E-Mail

Join Our Community!

Filter Forge has a thriving, vibrant, knowledgeable user community. Feel free to join us and have fun!

17,543 Registered Users
+5 new last day!

121,631 Posts
+41 new last day!

11,210 Topics
+9 new last day!

Online Users Last 15 minutes:

Sphinx., 15 unregistered users.

Recent Wiki Edits:

Follow filterforge on Twitter