Login - Create Account
Bookmark and Share

Help—Can you identify which filter I used?

Login or Register to post new topics or replies
WindyCreek Photography
After spending six hours trying to re-create an effect, I still have been unable to identify what filter I used. Can any of you please help me? I can not begin to tell you how frustrating this is and how annoyed I am that i forgot. I am attaching the filtered photo. If you recognize what filter and can tell me I would be extremely grateful. The original was just of straight red branches on late
winter bush.

Thank you for your help and for all the work that so many of you have done to produce these wonderful filters.

WindyCreel

Details E-Mail
voldemort
voldemort
Filters: 640
a before pic if you have one would be handy
lets all whine for a wine port
  Details E-Mail
WindyCreek Photography
Thank you vodemort. I really appreciate your help. I have spent almost two days on this and finally realized that there were talented and kind people like yourself who may be able to help me. I am enclosing the before picture.

Thank you,

WindyCreek

Details E-Mail
CFandM
ForgeSmith

Filters: 217
I can narrow it down a little for you... smile;)
http://www.filterforge.com/filters/ca...page1.html

Looks like it was from the "distortions" category...Now check to see if that lifesaver has that same distortion pattern...If it does then that might be the filter.......Or you can even check ones that are similar..... smile:)
Stupid things happen to computers for stupid reasons at stupid times!
  Details E-Mail
WindyCreek Photography
Dear CFandM,

Thank you for responding. I also am pretty sure that I used a distortion filter. However, I am unable to tell if the lifesaver has the same distortion pattern. I tried all the distortion filters (but not every lifesaver version of each filter). Many start off promising but the bottom of the photo (whose effect I really love) is never reproduced. I must say while I think Filter Forge is a totally amazing project, I am not very good at looking at the lifesaver and imagining what it will do. Do you see any filters that seem to you to produce the effect as seen in my photo? I am sorry to ask you to use any of your time but I would be so very grateful for help. I added the letters "sam" to the title of the photo to remind myself what filter I used but nothing I do or see rings a bell. I just tried every filter and its lifesavers on page 1 of distortions with no success. I loved the effect I got and am quite annoyed at myself for not writing it down so I would not have to trouble you and others.

Thanks again for trying to help. I obviously would be grateful if your eye can discern which filters seem like they might create the pattern in my photo. I also want to thank you for the wonderful filters that you created. Your contribution to the Filter Forge community is wonderful. I wish you had created the filter I am looking for.

If you can not recognize the likely filter, are there other people who you might suggest I contact who might recognize the
pattern?

Thank you again,

WindyCreek
  Details E-Mail
CFandM
ForgeSmith

WindyCreek Photography wrote:
Thanks again for trying to help. I obviously would be grateful if your eye can discern which filters seem like they might create the pattern in my photo. I also want to thank you for the wonderful filters that you created. Your contribution to the Filter Forge community is wonderful. I wish you had created the filter I am looking for.

Thanks and you are welcome....I did have a few moments to look and this one may be it...If not check along these lines of filter.....Its called Nightmare Distorsion..
http://www.filterforge.com/filters/818.html

Even this one here by Vladimir.... smile;)
http://www.filterforge.com/filters/232.html
  Details E-Mail
WindyCreek Photography
CFandM,

Thank you again for using your valuable time to help me out. "Nightmare Distorsion" is close but as you can see in the enclosed photo it does NOT create the intricate and beautiful bottom of the original I posted. I have found a few filters that seem to create
the top of the photo in a similar manner but none that do something so beautiful and different with the bottom.

WindyCreek

Details E-Mail
WindyCreek Photography
CFandM,

Vladmir's "Noise Distortion" is close (as you can see below), as you suggested but again does not produce the intricate red tangles at the bottom of the photo. I also noticed that the white clouds in Nightmare Distortion and Noise Distortion seem slightly more shiny than my original where the clouds looked quite natural.

Are there any other filters that you are aware of that are similar but might get me "home?" Thank you again for being so generous with your time and being willing to help. If not other filters seem right to you is there some programmers who have built these distortion filters who might recognize the filter I originally used.

Thank you and have a wonderful day.

WindyCreeek

Details E-Mail
Ramiel
Filters: 4
Unfortunately I can't recognize it, it's a REALLY long time since I used or developed any filter for filter forge, so I'm a little out of the game, sorry! smile:(
Hope you'll find the right filter soon!
  Details E-Mail
voldemort
voldemort
Filters: 640
I hope your not trying to compare the life saver with the original

simply open ff standalone do a file open and select your source filter and click through your filters this should help you narrow it down
lets all whine for a wine port
  Details E-Mail
Lareieli
Filters: 7
Windy Creek are you positive you don't have another photo that has more of the ground/mountains or some dirt showing below the twigs than this photo? It doesn't seem possible that only a filter could add in all of that brown anyway, and there's a blue object in the bottom right corner that doesn't appear to be in the source photo either, so perhaps that's part of where your confusion is stemming from. I totally sympathize with your frustration and wish you luck though! It looks to me as though Nightmare Distortion comes really close.

Lareieli
  Details E-Mail
WindyCreek Photography
Larelell,

Bingo! I can not begin to thank you enough for your insight. I was so focused on "which filter" I had used that it never occurred to me that I might have taken several photos of the same bush, which indeed I did. I have not "exactly" reproduced the photo at the top of my posting. However, with your help I am at least working with the correct photo. There are so many permutations between Nightmare Distortion and and Noise Distortion that it will take me some time to see if I can exactly reproduce the original. However, Nightmare Distortion immediately brings me almost there. My wife is unclear why I feel the need to "exactly" reproduce the original. Honestly, I think it is partly my own frustration of not writing down how I did something that I really liked.

I am attaching the correct photo below. Thank you again for taking your time and getting my head out of the corner where it was stuck. If you can reproduce the original filter image I would be eternally grateful.

WindyCreek

Details E-Mail
CFandM
ForgeSmith

Hello again.. smile:) Now that you have posted that image there is one thing to keep in mind.....That if the original is not the same size as the one you had posted it will have variations in the image..Due to the size differences....However I have tweaked and used Vlads.... smile;)
http://www.filterforge.com/filters/232.html

So grab this one and here are the settings that I have used.....Click on the image to make it bigger to see.....Otherwise I will post the settings....You might have to tweak a tad more if your original has a size variation to the one you posted.....

Details E-Mail
WindyCreek Photography
CFandM,

I cannot tell you how much I appreciate all the time and work you have put into figuring out something that has been driving me crazy. I really appreciate your tenacity and good will. Your talent as a programmer is clearly matched by your gift of being an amazingly giving human being. Do you have a link where I can look at your photos? I am enclosing "my" version using the full size photo but shrinking it to upload. I did notice that my pixel size is 2629 while yours is 450. I was amazed at how much pixel size impacts the final result. Is there a simple rule of thumb about pixel size?

Thank you again. It has been a pleasure meeting you and several other key members of the Filter Forge community. I also apologize for posting the "wrong" original photo. I look forward to Filter Forge 3 and the amazing creative filters that you and others will continue to develop. Again, it is rare to have a community of brilliantly talented programmers who are also artists and some of kindest people I have had the pleasure to meet.

Thanks,

WindyCreek

Details E-Mail
CFandM
ForgeSmith

I cannot tell you how much I appreciate all the time and work you have put into figuring out something that has been driving me crazy. I really appreciate your tenacity and good will. Your talent as a programmer is clearly matched by your gift of being an amazingly giving human being.

You are very welcome....This was one of those times where you know the word you want to say or movie that you are thinking of and its right at the tip of your tongue or brain and you just can't think of it.. smile:D Then you finally think of it in the middle of the night when you are about to fall asleep... smile:D smile;) smile:)

Do you have a link where I can look at your photos?

Well I don't really have a lot in one spot...Its more offline stuff that I can't post but also I have things that are scattered about....Heres some abstracts that I created entirely in filter forge....Cheated a little on one of them thou.. smile:)
http://www.filterforge.com/forum/read.php?TID=7858

I am enclosing "my" version using the full size photo but shrinking it to upload. I did notice that my pixel size is 2629 while yours is 450. I was amazed at how much pixel size impacts the final result. Is there a simple rule of thumb about pixel size?

Cool I guess that was the filter then.. smile;) smile:)
Yep the reason that mine is a smaller size is that was the image that you had posted..I downloaded that and that was what the pixel size turned out to be when downloaded....If you used your original image then that would account for the pixel size being 2629....If you are talking about pixel size as far as Filter Forge is concerned there are some things to remember....Some effects or textures will not differ on pixel size...However some (like the effect above) will have a different or variation on the same image at different sizes....So whatever size you want the final image to be you should run that size image through Filter Forge...

Thank you again. It has been a pleasure meeting you and several other key members of the Filter Forge community. I also apologize for posting the "wrong" original photo. I look forward to Filter Forge 3 and the amazing creative filters that you and others will continue to develop. Again, it is rare to have a community of brilliantly talented programmers who are also artists and some of kindest people I have had the pleasure to meet.

You are welcome again smile:)
No sweat on that photo, we would get that filter eventually.. smile;) smile:)
Thank You for your kind words...But remember all this would not exist without the Awesome Filter Forge Team who has created such an awesome and addictive product.. smile;) smile:)
I know they are around here somewhere.. smile;) smile:) smile:) smile:D
  Details E-Mail

Join Our Community!

Filter Forge has a thriving, vibrant, knowledgeable user community. Feel free to join us and have fun!

17,297 Registered Users
+8 new last day!

120,750 Posts
+49 new last day!

11,075 Topics
+26 new in 7 days!

Online Users Last 5 minutes:

Mardar, 13 unregistered users.

Recent Wiki Edits:

Follow filterforge on Twitter