Droste Spiral by Egret

Login or Register to post new topics or replies
StevieJ
Designer/Artist

Filters: 163
Droste Spiral by Egret
http://www.filterforge.com/filters/8771.html

Steve

"Buzzards gotta eat...same as worms..." - Clint :)
  Details E-Mail
StevieJ
Designer/Artist

Another clever work!!! smile8) smile8) smile8)

After your last two filters, I can't wait to see what you come up with next.... smile:)
Steve

Details E-Mail
Kraellin
Kraellin

Filters: 97
that's pretty interesting. voldemort would be proud smile:)
If wishes were horses... there'd be a whole lot of horse crap to clean up!

Craig
  Details E-Mail
CFandM
ForgeSmith

Filters: 220
Kraellin wrote:
that's pretty interesting. voldemort would be proud smile:)

It a fun filter to experiment with Egret....Where has vold ran off to and yep he would be proud Craig... smile:D
Stupid things happen to computers for stupid reasons at stupid times!
  Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

Filters: 33
Please, could be possible to know how to use this in the best way?

I can´t use any photo or image that is square, rectangular or have any kind of frame. It only works on isolated images that have a transparent background behind and does not touch the border of the photo.

I will se how to prepare the photo in the best way for this.

I have seen ALSO that this filter NOT only is based in a spiral effect, because if you put scale 100, rotation 50 and move the Offset to 95 and Offset Y to 30 you can get an interesting effect far away from the spiral smile:) (this I suposse are relative amounts and would depend on the photo )

This is one example

Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

And here is one with the spiral

Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

This is with a clock

Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

And here is one of the Astronomical clocks of the city of Praga

Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

Now lets do something different, making a composition of many ice cubes in rows with transparent background and apply this filter, and you get and Ice cubes Storm smile:D

Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

For you to know this is the original source photo of the ice cubes

Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

Droste Spiral Pink Lilium

Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

And this is making as in the first example

Details E-Mail
StevieJ
Designer/Artist

Excellent examples, SpaceRay... smile8)
Steve

Details E-Mail
Morgantao
Can't script

Filters: 20
This is my favorite!

Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

Thanks StevieJ and Morgantao, Glad you like them smile:)

here is another one. A weird Droste Motor Engine smile:D

Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

Another flower Droste Style

Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

I have tried to make also Spirals with Vertical photos instead of ONLY square images, and also gives interesting and beautiful results as you can see in this Gladiolus photo

Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

In the above can´t be seen well the effect, so I put here a greater detail of the lower part of the photo so you can see it better

Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

After all of this above that are all photos that have a transparent background and none of them reaches the borders, I wanted to try to USE A WHOLE FULLY SQUARE IMAGE, but as said above this gives bad results if used as it is, BUT I have converted it in Photoshop to a layer, and then enlarged the canvas from 3000 to 4500, so the image keeps in exactly the same size BUT there a new whole transparent square frame around.

Then using the FF plugin I went again to this Droste filter, and as I imagined, it WORKS! you get a better result as the image is enlarged and does not get cut, and the borders are better done.

I also put the rotation setting at 100 and both offset to 50

Here is the result

Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

But as you can see there are still parts that you can´t see, and there is NO way to enlarge the canvas size inside FF to be able to see this missing parts, so if you wanted to get the WHOLE image effect fully without being cut I tried another thing.

Just for testing I reduced the image to 1000x1000 and then converted to a layer, and enlarged the canvas to 3000x3000, so now there is a huge transparent frame around the main image.

SO if you have a 3000x3000 you should probably enlarge the canvas size to 9000x9000.

IT WORKS RIGHT !!!!

Finally I have been able to see the WHOLE image droste spiral effect complete as you can see here below.

Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

I have this droste spiral compass with this great filter

I had to cut the lower part of the image as it would not fit for the forum, sorry

Details E-Mail
voldemort
voldemort
Filters: 640
Kraellin wrote:
that's pretty interesting. voldemort would be proud

You do realize speaking the dark lords name calls his attention

And yes Ive admired this one for a while smile:)
I have mechanical version of this that I keep forgetting to upload --way more components in mine and its slower to render but it might make a good snippet for folks to understand the logic
actually Ive got so much junk in my personal filters folder I need to clear out because there are a ton of gems I keep forgetting to upload

its amazing how fast that folder cruds up when you are experimenting
lets all whine for a wine port
  Details E-Mail
SpaceRay
SpaceRay

I want to suggest to add also another preset showing that the real power of this filter is when you use an image with transparent background, or that does not have the square shape.

I mean that would be good also to additional add another preset using the FF lifesaver with transparency instead of using the FF Lifesaver in full, so that when rendered it looks like a real spiral without hard square edges, it could be used to better show what this can do.

This is the actual preset 2 that shows hard square edges and breaks the flow of the spiral

And here below is using the same FF Lifesaver but with transparency activated and modifying the settings

Details E-Mail

Join Our Community!

Filter Forge has a thriving, vibrant, knowledgeable user community. Feel free to join us and have fun!

17,550 Registered Users
+7 new last day!

121,673 Posts
+49 new last day!

11,219 Topics
+12 new last day!

Online Users Last 5 minutes:

5 unregistered users.

Recent Wiki Edits:

Follow filterforge on Twitter